BCA Boy's Residence Director (p/t)
A Residence Director (RD) is responsible for the quality of life experienced by the BCA residential students living under their care. The focus is to provide leadership and direction within the specifically assigned residence(s), for facilitating the goals and objectives of both the institution as a whole as well as the Residence Life and Student Development departments.
The goal of the Residence Life Department is to facilitate the spiritual, academic, co-curricular and relational development and success of students who are living in residence while studying at Briercrest Christian Academy. We aim to provide residence students with a safe, secure and supportive home base from which to conduct their endeavors during their time on campus. We desire that each student in our care realizes all that God had in mind for them when He directed them to this school, whether that is of an academic nature, or otherwise.
Note: This is a part-time position (20 hrs/week)
- Applicants must actively support the CHS/BCS mission and vision and have a heart for God and a love and understanding of young people
- A minimum of a B.A. degree
- Interpersonal, caring and communication skills
- The ability to work well on a team
- Ability to train and motivate youth
- Previous relevant experience is beneficial.
DESIRED OUTCOMES AND ACTIVITIES
Relationship with the Full Time RD
It is expected that RD will recognize and acknowledge the leadership role of the Residence Director who is heading up their area. In light of this it is important that a strong, positive working relationship is developed and nurtured between the two. For the RD this necessitates that:
- Strong lines of communication be established and sustained.
- A teachable attitude is consistently exhibited.
- A supportive, cooperative and non-competitive spirit is maintained.
Student Team Development
- Interview and hire, each spring, of a full complement of RA student leaders for the residence(s) under your care for the following year.
- Be involved in weekly student team & 1on1 leadership meetings.
- Equip and empower student leaders to fulfill their responsibilities by maintaining good communication and providing support, advice, training and direction as needed.
- Provide oversight, evaluative feedback and accountability to the student team.
- Seek opportunities for spiritual input and discipleship with your student leaders. Build into their lives and offer prayer and counsel support in trying or difficult situations.
- Develop positive, non-threatening relationships with students in your care.
- Learn the names of all residents as soon as possible first semester.
- Conduct intentional visitation efforts that will ensure contact with all students in your residence(s) each semester.
- Model kindness, self-control, integrity and trustworthiness.
- Provide advice/counsel as needed, referring when necessary.
- Provide accountability, intervention and discipline as needed. Respect and maintain appropriate confidentiality.
- Participate in weekly dorm bible studies/prayer/hall meeting.
- Develop/nurture a secure, positive residence environment.
- Facilitate the spiritual, academic and social growth of students.
- Promote the integration of biblical principles into day to day life situations.
- Respond to student needs and crisis as they arise.
- Maintain regular communication with parents or guardians.
- Maintain a weekly schedule of 10-15 hours per week including some evening and weekend involvement.
- Demonstrate a healthy lifestyle of balance and appropriate boundaries
- Take initiative for your own professional and spiritual development.
- Peruse the application file in August of each new incoming student who will be placed in your residence(s) and start to get to know them early.
- Aid in room placement of students according to the information in the files.
- Facilitate a safe, high quality overall residence life experience by developing and maintaining structures that promote holistic health along with the primary RD.
- Accurate, regular reporting of student issues and concerns to the primary RD.
- Coordination of dorm activities/events in conjunction with RAs.
- Maintain accountability to the CHS Dorm Residents’ Code. More serious disciplinary decisions must be coordinated with the SRD and possibly the Dean of Students.
- Keep consistent record of student issues and appointments.
- Assist in facility preparation for opening (Sept.) and closing (June).
- Facilitate facility upkeep by means of communication with the Campus Operations department as needed.
- Aid students in developing habits of cleanliness of rooms and common areas.
- Complete residential agreements and reports to Finance Department.
Residence Life Team
Invest in building positive and cooperative working relationships with other members of the Res. Life Department. This includes attendance and active participation at:
- Weekly one-on-one meetings with the primary RD.
- Departmental meetings and in-service training/workshops, as scheduled.
- Participate in Student Leadership Training assignments as assigned.
- Contribute to the larger Student Development team in team meetings and informal care for colleagues.
- RDs are part of the BCS Residence Life team which consists of the Dean of Students, Senior RDs, Director of Counselling and Health Services and all college and high school Residence Directors.
- All Residence Life personnel are active members of the Briercrest College and Seminary Student Development Department.
- RDs are the direct supervisors for all RA student dorm leaders situated in the residence(s) under their care.
- RDs work under the leadership and authority of their Senior Residence Director.
- All RDs report to the Dean of Students.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, résumé/CV, names of three references and any specified documents by email to the Human Resources office at email@example.com.
All employees of Briercrest College and Seminary are required to sign and adhere to our Institutional Covenant. Please review the covenant prior to submitting your application